Love what the old-school turn based strategy classics from yesteryear provided? You’re going to love Spaceland.
Available to purchase and download right now on Xbox One, Spaceland from Ellada Games has been created as a bit of a love letter to the classics, taking everything that was good about the strategy-fuelled turn based elements of games from years past to deliver a modern take on things.
Priced at £16.74 with a little launch discount present for those happy enough to jump in early, Spaceland on Xbox One sees you landing on a desolate planet before realising that the inhabitants need showing who is boss. From there you’ll find yourself putting together a team of Space Rangers (yep, capital S, capital R!) with a view to outsmarting the mutants and taking charge of the planet.
With a long list of decent features that should appeal to fans of the tactical turn-based genre, Spaceland promises much. Expect to play around with multiple weapons, utilise the fighting styles of up to 7 Space Rangers and take down more than 20 different enemy types as you go on your way. With the chance to enjoy a bit of a backstory via team member conversations and the opportunity to unveil multiple secrets that the planet has previously kept hidden, there is certainly a big old draw with Spaceland.
- The game is inspired by the best turn-based strategies of the old school
- A unique system of dynamic turn-based battles lasting 10–15 minutes
- A squad of space rangers made up of 7 fighters with a unique fighting style
- A story about the mysterious planet in the spirit of the golden age of science fiction
- A hand-drawn map of the game world
- Assault rifles, machine guns, plasma guns, grenade launchers and a lot of other equipment to make your fighters even stronger
- More than 20 different enemies from alien animals to dangerous monsters
- Futuristic upgradable equipment which gives your fighters unique abilities
- Intense dialogs between team members, which reveal unexpected plot twists
- Colorful special effects that transform a turn-based combat into an exciting action movie
- And, of course, the party headliners are dangerous bosses that show up at the end of each chapter of the adventure
Our full review of Spaceland on Xbox One should be coming your way real soon but for now if you wish to take a bit of a punt, the Xbox Store will sort you out with a download. Let us know if you decide to become a hardcore Space Ranger!
It is probably the most dynamic turn-based strategy in the spirit of the old school. Less covers, more action! Land on a lost planet and show the mutants what you are made of. Shoot, kick, blow up and destroy. You will put together the most reckless team of fighters and unravel the mysteries of the mystical planet following the best traditions of science fiction.